If you’re planning a bank holiday getaway then be sure to read our tips on how you can make your journey to the airport a safe and stress-free one. Here’s IAM RoadSmart’s head of driving and riding standards, Richard Gladman, to help you prepare for the journey. Because a little preparation goes a long way.
- Take some time to check your vehicle inside and out before you set off. Check the tyre pressure and fluid levels are right and make sure everything else is working properly (headlights etc.)
- Secure your luggage in your boot so it’s out of the way and doesn’t obstruct your view. If you do happen to use your rear seat, use the seat belts to secure your luggage so they can’t move around if you have to brake suddenly.
- Give yourself plenty of time for the journey and check the news for any traffic updates and roadworks nearby.
- If you’re travelling during the early hours of the day or late in the evening make sure you take some rest beforehand and eat something light so you don’t feel sluggish before you leave.
- If you plan on using a satnav don’t forget to programme in the destination before you leave and check it. Leave plenty of time for the journey so you don’t find yourself pushed for time. The plane won’t wait!
Richard said: “With so much planning involved in a holiday, many of us forget about the first bit – how we get to the airport.
“If your journey is a long one, take some time to plan where and when you will be taking a break – just so you can get a little rest and have some water to stay hydrated. Enjoy the journey and more importantly, enjoy the getaway."